Saturday, February 04, 2006

Films Rang de Basanti (Rakesh Omprakash Mehra, 2006) and The Constant Gardener (Rakesh Omprakash Mehra, 2005)






Tonight, along with my parents as part of celebrating their wedding anniversary, I saw Rang de Basanti, just released a few weeks ago. I normally don't like "Bollywood" films, but the reviews for this one sounded good. I enjoyed it, though the first half drags a bit. There was one song, played twice including at the end with closing credits, Roobaroo by A. R. Rahman and Naresh Iyer, that I quite liked. I enjoyed the theme of late 1920s revolutionaries
Bhagat Singh and Chandrashekhar Azad fighting for India's independence, and how that story was weaved into a modern filming of a documentary about that story.


Last night at a friend's house, I saw on DVD The Constant Gardener, a political thriller based on a novel by John le Carré. I am not accustomed to watching such films, but found this one to be quite captivating. It tells a (hopefully totally fictitious!) story about greed and unbelievable insensitivity driving a western pharmaceutical company to test its drugs on an unsuspecting population of poor Kenyans.


Links of interest:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home