Tuesday, July 11, 2006

American Dance Festival: Keigwin + Company


Tonight I went on my own to ADF to see Keigwin + Company, a group I enjoyed seeing last year. Their pieces were motivated, we learned later during a Q&A session, by one of troupe leader Larry Keigwin's mission statements of having fun. Some of the dances were quite clever, especially the opener Orbit (a world premiere) and interesting to see, but I found a few to be somewhat dull, such as the short dances following Orbit and preceding intermission, Self Portrait #1, Love Songs, Couple One, Couple Two, and Couple Three .

I really enjoyed their last piece, A Modern Line, where they had more than 40 local folks (mostly ADF students, but they've done this piece elsewhere without the luxury of a colocated dance school) whom they had trained over a few days. They enacted a funny piece about dancers auditioning for a show. The remaining dance, just after intermission, Urban Birds, was fun to watch dancers somewhat impersonating caged birds. I was in the front row at or near the very center for this performance!

Pictures sent by Larry Keigwin and used here with his permission. I believe they were both taken by Tom Caravaglia.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Thu Aug 10, 09:18:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home