Saturday, February 11, 2006

My winning picture in an exhibit at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences



I was delighted that of three pictures that I submitted last year to an annual photo contest that Wildlife in North Carolina Magazine runs, I was told on November 16 that I won second prize in one of the eight categories! There were over 3300 entries and more than 600 photographers entered the contest. The Peaks, Valleys, & Plains category in which I won had 544 entries. You can see all of the 2005 winners; look a little over halfway down to see my shot. (You can also see the pictures as laid out for the January issue of the magazine.)


The picture was taken on a warm Sunday afternoon, October 24, 2004 (4:09pm) at Price Lake off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Blowing Rock, NC. I hope that viewers will initially think that it is a shot looking straight out toward a mountain. In fact, I was standing on a large rock, and took the shot looking straight down at the rock and the lovely reflection I saw of the sky in the lake.


All of the thirty-one winning pictures are on display through March 31 at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh. I went today to see the exhibit. After this stay in Raleigh, the display will travel to other state museums through the rest of the year.

My second prize winning picture, Price Lake (near Blowing Rock, NC), October 24, 2004

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home