Friday, July 28, 2006

Concert: KC and the Sunshine Band / Tavares / Gloria Gaynor / Sister Sledge


Back in the late 70s, I enjoyed a few songs by KC and the Sunshine Band - they have a good beat though they have fairly silly lyrics. Songs of theirs that I particularly like include Keep it Coming Love and Please Don't Go. KC coincidentally lives, I found out, nearby in Chapel Hill - he visited the Rice Diet Program in Durham some years ago and decided to stay in the area.

Anyway, KC is on this "KC's Boogie Blast" tour, and we went with a few friends to see it at Raleigh's Alltel Pavillion. I don't like KC enough to see him on his own, but he is touring with a group I like much more, Tavares, especially their songs Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel, their (and the Bee Gees' as well) version of More than a Woman, and It Only Takes a Minute (To Fall in Love). A few years ago, I bought one of their greatest hits compilations, and came to enjoy a number of their other songs, such as Don't Take Away the Music and Whodunit.

Gloria Gaynor, famous for Never Can Say Good-Bye, Last Night, and I Will Survive, is part of the tour, and also Sister Sledge, with really just the one hit We Are Family. So the night promised a fun harkening back to the disco era with dancing. We had a fun time, though I wish that Tavares had more time to play. The concert was orchestrated by KC, and the bands each played a few songs at a time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home